If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (310) 390-7540

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How To Prevent Space Heater Fires at Home

6/5/2020 (Permalink)

space heater Some space heaters are safer than others

Space heaters can keep you warm during those cold winter nights in Century City, CA. Yet a burned space heater can be devastating to your home.
In fact, space heaters can cause major fire damage, especially if they are placed near flammable materials. Each year, space heaters lead to approximately 25,000 house fires and 300 deaths. However, by following the below suggestions, you can reduce the odds of a space heater destroying your house.

Safety Features

Some space heaters are safer than others. You should buy a heater that has features designed to reduce fires. These safety features include:

  • A sturdy cord
  • Proper certification from an independent tester
  • Automatic shutoff sensors that power down the device if it tips over or overheats

Proper Usage
A burned space heater can become a larger problem if it is put next to combustible items. Avoid using the heater near bedding, matches, or gas cans. Instead, place the heater on a level, hard and nonflammable floor.
Fires can also occur if kids or pets knock the heater over while it is in use. You should thus take steps to keep animals and young children three feet away from the heater. The heater also should not be kept in a child's room.
Problems with the heater's electrical cord can be dangerous, as well. Do not use the heater if the cord appears worn or frayed. To limit overheating, avoid plugging any other electronics into the outlet used by the heater.
Finally, make sure that you turn off the space heater before you go to bed each night. You may also want to unplug it when it is not being used.
Even if you take proper precautions, you could still end up with a burned space heater in your home. If this happens to you, you and your family should get out of the house immediately. Once the fire has been extinguished, smoke cleanup experts can help you restore your property.